September 25, 2012

LIFE IS JUST NOT THAT SIMPLE

In this blog I bring up many topics. So far it has been primarily a slow but sure presentation of my book, chapter by chapter, starting from the beginning. Every so often I add something in addition, either that I've written or have read, that relates in some essential way to depression.

I actually haven't gotten that far in presenting the book, since I present one small section at a time. Sometimes, due to the pressing circumstances of my life in which I am caregiver to my wife, periods go by that even extend to a month or two in which I do not get to writing the blog. But then I do catch up in due time. Of late I have been adding more that is not included in my book.

The reason for this blog today is the fact that life is just not so simple for any of us that any of us can proclaim or pronounce that something that may help us in our own lives will necessarily be effective in helping others in theirs, for each person has his or own way of being in themselves, with themselves, and also in the world. In other words, though there is certainly help for us "out there," outside of ourselves, we must each find our own way and come to know ourselves well enough. 

I put forth many techniques and exercises that have been quite helpful to many, including myself, but I present them not as panaceas or cures for all, but simply -- and humbly -- as tools that might be put to good use for those seeking to help themselves. I have taught and worked with groups and individuals on "understanding depression" and "working with oneself in depression." However, I certainly do not consider myself as an "expert" on depression. In fact I believe that each person who has depression is his or her best expert on it and on themselves. The primary key is the ability and the willingness to listen to oneself in depression and the courage to respond to oneself.

Each of us, I believe, possesses this ability. My objective is always to help people to trust themselves, to trust their own experience. So I also try to offer people such an experience of themselves through the various simply exercises and techniques that offer such an experience. I don't expect anyone to necessarily believe what I say, though I think that some things I might say may very well resonate with them, i.e. it feels true to them based on their own experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment